A strong letter of recommendation is typically 1-2 pages long. It should reflect on your academic performance, personal qualities, and future potential. It may also include details about your background or extracurricular pursuits. You may want to provide each recommender with a resume and some bullet points about your accomplishments and favorite projects or topics in class. Make sure to ask for recommendations well in advance of the deadline so your teachers have time to write thoughtful letters. If you’re not sure who to ask for a recommendation, read our advice here.
Articles in this section
- Do domestic and international students fill out the same application?
- Are international applications reviewed according to nationality or high school location?
- If I am a dual citizen, should I note both citizenships on my application?
- If I have attended high schools both in the United States and internationally, which transcripts do you require?
- If I am in the process of applying for permanent residency status in the United States, how does this affect my application?
- Are international students required to take the TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test?
- What is the recommended TOEFL score for a Penn applicant?
- Will Penn accept the MyBest Score feature from TOEFL?
- What is the recommended IELTS score for a Penn applicant?
- Will Penn accept that IELTS indicator?